Sunday, March 18, 2012

Proud to be a Sailor’s Wife

“There is not a liberal America and a conservative America – there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and a Latino America and an Asian America – there’s the United States of America.”
~Barack Obama
I got a shamrock from an AmVet Friday and I thought I would write about my small part being the wife of a vet.  I take great pride in being a wife of a Viet Nam vet and a sailor’s wife.  Although I am no longer married to him, it has given me an experience that I will carry with me the rest of my life.  Ed had 4 tours of duty on carriers (the Hornet and the Ranger) to Nam.  He was an Airedale working on the deck.  This time in my life gave me so many life lessons.  I can’t begin to share all of them but I’ll share just a few. 


All young men were drafted back in the 60’s and 70’s.  It was not a volunteer service.   Knowing that now makes me even prouder of those that volunteered then and now.  I had friends that died and others that carry with them pain and memories only a soldier could know.  I only know a small portion of what sacrifices people have made for our freedom making me value it even more.  I also know the loneliness and worry that families endure while their serviceman is away in harms way.  I’m proud of the families and thank them for their sacrifices they made and are making for us.   I am angered by the lack of respect that is due our servicemen and them not getting everything that is due to them, even though they expect nothing. They give out of a sense of duty to our country.  We owe them more than we can ever repay them.  They should have the best medical care, education, and jobs waiting back home.  The fact that there are homeless vets out there or vets that are not receiving adequate medical care is an out rage to our men who served this nation and out rage to this nation itself. 


Make sure you say thank you to anyone you meet that has served this country.  Remember they are or were there to protect your rights.  

No comments:

Post a Comment