Monday, June 3, 2013

Pan Fried Sirloin Steaks


Friday Fareways had Sirloin steak for sale at $3.49 a pound.  That was cheaper than hamburger so I bought 2 steaks.  I’m using one to cook on the stove and make into sandwiches.  For the second steak, I think I will make sirloin tips on rice with them. 

Make sure the steak that has fat in it and around it, because it helps to keep it juicy and tender during cooking.

About an hour before cooking, take the steaks out of the fridge and put them on a plate or on top of their butcher paper. Sprinkle them heavily with kosher salt on both sides. Two things are important here: the first is to use a lot of salt and the second is to use a salt that has big grains, not a fine grained table salt (I've said this before, but table salt has chemicals in it to make it free flowing so I use Kosher salt for everything).   This makes a cheaper steak even better.

When you’re ready to cook, heat a pan to very hot over high heat. I use my old cast iron skillet.

While the pan is getting hot, rinse the salt off of the steaks and dry them well with paper towels. Season on both sides  of the steak with a normal amount of salt.

Hold the steak with a pair of tongs above the hot pan. Find the edge of the steak that has a strip of fat on it. Hold the fat covered edge of the steak in the pan with the tongs until it releases some grease and browns.  Then, lay the steak on a flat side and cook it for a few minutes, until it browns. Flip it over and cook it on the second side.

Don’t cook the steak to the desired temperature–it will continue to cook as it rests, which it must do before serving. For example, if someone likes medium rare, cook it to rare. How do you know when it’s done? This is the trickiest part and ultimately takes a lot of practice, unless you are one of those folks who puts faith in their meat thermometer. If you’re using a thermometer, the rule of thumb is 140 degrees for rare, 160 for medium, and 170 for well done.


When the meat is almost done (not all the way, since it will keep cooking even after the heat is off), turn off the pan and leave it sitting on the stove top and add a couple teaspoons of butter to melt and add more flavor to the meat.  Spoon the melted butter over the top of the steak.   Pepper you meat now for additional flavor.


Rest the steaks for 10 minutes before serving.

I cut mine in 3 pieces and put one piece on a croissant for my Sunday supper.  I’m a plainest when it comes to steak.  I want to taste the steak.  I added a little mayo and leaf lettuce to finish off the sandwich. 


To top the meal off, I made Strawberry Jello Cake.  I made it simple with a yellow cake box mix, frozen whipped topping, strawberry Jello and some of my left of strawberries from my strawberry salad I made this week and Sal's cup cakes. What a meal to finish off a great day.  Life is good. 


Have a great day today, be happy and may God bless you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment