Thursday, June 13, 2013

Matzo Ball Soup


I have a craving for matza ball soup.  I'm changing up on my matza ball recipe.  My son likes them heavy and I like them light.  Since it is just me, making it my way this time. This recipe calls for club soda to lighten the dumplings.  I'm making a big pan for the rest of the week.  

4 large eggs
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1 cup matzo meal (I use the Manischewitz meal)
½ cup club soda
Lots of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs well with a fork. Add the oil, matzo meal, and salt and pepper and stir together using a wooden spoon. Pour the seltzer over the mixture and stir in.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the mixture for several hours.

Bring a large pot of well-salted chicken broth to a boil. The bigger surface area on the top the better.

To form the matzo balls, first wet your hands in cold water to prevent the batter from sticking. Scoop up a small handful of batter and form it into a ball about the size of a walnut. The matzo balls will double in size when cooked. 

Gently place the matzo balls in the boiling chicken stock and turn the heat down so the water is boiling but not vigorously so. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the matzo balls are cooked through.

Feel free to add some carrots,  chicken or egg noodles to your broth if you want a more substantial soup. To serve, pour a little broth into a soup bowl and add one or two matzo balls.  


Leftover matzo balls keep well, but refrigerate them separate from the broth, or else they will start to disintegrate. You should, however, reheat the cold matzo balls in broth.

Have a great day, be happy and may God bless you and yours.  


No comments:

Post a Comment