Monday, June 10, 2013

Beef Arm Roast


As always, I scan the newspaper for what is on sale and make up a shopping list to save money.  Beef arm roasts were on sale at $2.99 so I had to pick one up.  Normally I do not use a recipe for this.  I just toss ingredients into a pot and play it by ear with what I have.  I’m sharing what I did today when I tossed the arm roast together.  This is not the best cut of meat so slow cooking is the way to go.  Make sure it is well marbled because the fat equals flavor.  I got out my crock pot for the occasion.  I opened the refrigerator and took a look at its contents.  I had small red potatoes, a yellow onion and carrots.  We are good to go plus a little more for extra flavor.


3 to 4 pound beef arm roast
Kosher salt and pepper
Butter
Carrots*
1 yellow onion
7 or 8 small red potatoes (skins on for extra vitamins)
2 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. chopped garlic (I love the garlic in a jar to save work)
2 bay leaves
Sprig of thyme
2 cups beef broth

If I had mushrooms, I would have tossed them in, but didn't have any in the house.

*Never used those bagged little pre-cut carrots.  They are treated with chemicals that are harmful.  Take the time to clean and cut your own. 

Salt and pepper your roast on both sides.  Brown on all sides in a cast iron skillet or fry pan with a little butter.  Render as much of the fat out as possible.  Deglaze your pan with some of the broth to get all the flavor bits of your roast up and pour into the crock pot.


Clean you potatoes and carrots.  Chop up the carrots.  Slice your onion in half.  Trip to my herb garden to pick a couple sprigs of thyme (you could use dried if you like or skip).

Put all of the ingredients in the bottom of your crock pot and lay the browned roast of top.  Salt and pepper again.


Put on high and cook for 4 to 5 hours depending on how big your roast is or if you are headed to work and have all day put it on low and cook it 8 hours.  I stuck it in after lunch so want it done for supper so I’m putting it on high.  Before serving, taste your juices and see if they need any additional seasoning.  You may wish to add a little more salt and/or pepper. 

Take your roast out and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting. 

To cut your roast, locate the grain of the meat. The meat grain is how the muscle grew on the cow, and has visible strings that indicate the placement of the grain. Cut across the grain for best results for the most tender cut.

I should be able to eat on this all week having enough left overs for meat and potatoes a couple of times and a couple of beef sandwiches.  Drain the juices through a sieve and save for future broth or use it for au jus for left over beef sandwiches.  It is full of flavor for sopping up with bread.  If your roast has a bone in (even better because you’ll have even more flavor), you would have a nice demi glace (jello like substance once cooled with huge beef flavor).  You can freeze it and use it in future beef recipes.  Never toss it out. 

One pot meal, lots of left overs, house perfumed, beef au jus sandwiches, heaven. 

Have a great Monday, be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment