Thursday, December 5, 2013

Microwave Cashew Brittle

I’m not fixing meals the next couple of days because I have lots of soup to finish, but I am putting together a basket for the Historical Museum's basket auction next Tuesday.  I’m filling it with all homemade ornaments, hot cocoa mix, and candy.  Today I’m making microwave cashew brittle to put in it.


Years ago I used to drive to an Amish home near Andrew that had a bakery in their home.  They sold some of the best bake goods but my favorite thing was their cashew brittle.  Of course they did not use a microwave, but I found this recipe and it tastes exactly like theirs and is so simple.  I've been using it for years now.  They have moved on now, so I have to make my own. It does not have to be made with cashews, but I love cashews.  You may use peanuts if you like or your favorite nut.

1 cup salted cashew nut halves
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

In a 1 ½  quart microwave safe dish stir together sugar, syrup, salt and nuts.  Microwave on high 4 minutes. Stir well. Microwave 3 to 4 minutes more (Since I got my new microwave convection oven, it gets too dark so I only do it 3 minutes now.  Check after 3 minutes and look at the color to make sure the sugar is not browning too much). Stir in butter and vanilla, microwave for 1 to 2 minutes longer (Again check after 1 minute to make sure that it is not browning too much).

Add baking soda and stir until light and foamy. Immediately pour onto a Silpat or spray a cookie sheet with oil.  I love a Silpat for this.  Spread out the hot mixture thin. Let it cool until it is hard and break into smaller pieces. The color should be a nice golden color. 

This makes a great Christmas gift.

Be happy and have a sweet day.  May God bless you and yours. 

Note:  Several years later I tried making this in a cheap WalMart microwave and I'm adjusting the time for those of you that found my timing did not work.  It failed for me too.  It is all about the color.  This time I did 6 minutes for first microwave and then another 6 minutes and after adding the butter and vanilla I did another 2 minutes and it turned out just fine.  Make sure you are microwaving on high and after the first two boilings, the color should be a golden color.  If not, microwave some more by adding a minute or two.  Don't let it get too dark or you will burn the nuts.  Good luck. 


No comments:

Post a Comment