Saturday, December 14, 2013

Messy Meat Sliders

Saylor came last night so I made my messy meat sliders.  I have gluten free small buns for him and I’m using mini hamburger buns for me and making my version of a play on a Maid Rite slider.


Messy Meat Sliders

2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 cup beef broth
1 small chopped sweet onion or half of a large
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce *
½ tbs. soy sauce *
1 tbs. cider vinegar
2 tbs. brown sugar
Pinch of Kosher salt and pepper
Mini hamburger buns (12 to a pack)

* For gluten free, I leave these ingredients out because they have gluten in them. You may also add after you have made up a batch and taken out a portion for your person needing gluten free. 

This is not the Maid Rite recipe, but it is a great loose meat sandwich; what I call messy meat.  You serve it with a spoon to pick up what falls out. 

Chop your onion in a food processor until it is finely chopped.  I have a small processor for just such occasions.


Start the crock pot on high.  I like to add my ground beef and broth together in a bowl and break it up and mix it with my hands first.  It helps make the meat really loose and takes out all the lumps.  I buy my hamburger when it is on sale in 10 pound packages and when I get home I cut the big roll into 5  two pound packages and freeze.  Turn down your crock pot once it is heated.


Add your 2 pounds of meat and cup of broth mixture to the crock pot.  Add all the other ingredients. Stir well to keep breaking up the ground beef and mix all of the ingredients.


Cover with the lid. Cook on low for 4 hours or until ground beef is completely cooked.  Stir occasionally to prevent beef from clumping. The ingredients should have a smooth texture.  Let the juices evaporate until the juices are almost gone.  Don’t let it get too dry though.  If it is getting dry, add a little more broth.


Toast your hamburger buns opened up under the broiler.  Do not walk away.  I leave the door open and watch them.  Top with your favorite toppings.  I like mustard, ketchup and dill relish.  You can turn them into cheese sandwiches by adding a slice of cheese just before putting the top on.  I like to use an ice cream scoop to top the bun with the loose meat.  It helps hold the meat together a little.


Variation -  Add a cup of ketchup to your crock pot and you have a Sloppy Joe.  If you like it a little sweeter, add a bit more brown sugar.  I also add a bit of yellow mustard to my Sloppy Joes meat mix and then I do not top them with anything.

You can use this same process for making taco meat.  Do not add the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, vinegar or brown sugar.  Start with the hamburger, beef broth and onion and then add a tbs. of chili powder, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1 tsp. of garlic powder.  You can use it to make a taco burger, fill tacos or burritos.  My grandsons like to use the Scoop corn chips and fill them with the meat, shredded cheese, a bit of shredded lettuce and a half of a cherry tomato.  They call them mini tacos.

Have a great Saturday, be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment