Tuesday, April 30, 2013


Years ago I lived in Milwaukee as a VISTA volunteer and became good friends with many Mexican friends that introduced me to their beautiful culture.  I would eat often with them.  I was first introduced to tortillas in 1966.  Sylvia, a friend of mine told me they were their eating utensil.  They often did not use silverware, but used tortillas to pick up their food by tearing off a piece of tortilla and picking up what was on their plate.  To this day I only use tortillas as utensils when I make my Mexican scrabbled eggs with chorizo sausage and cheese. I've taught my sons to do it also.

Tortillas are also used to wrap many dishes like burritos, enchiladas, chimichangas, tacos, etc. Like many of their sauces, tortillas are a staple in the Mexican diet.  They are equal to our bread.  Some of the best food I have even eaten, I have eaten with a tortilla so still celebrating Cinco de Mayo, I’m sharing and celebrating  one of the important foods in the Mexican diet, the tortilla. 


Flour Tortillas

2 c. flour (you may use white corn flour or wheat flour)
¾ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. baking powder
4 Tbsp. shortening or lard
¾ c. warm water (must be very warm to melt the shortening or lard)

Combine all ingredients until it forms a dough.  You may do this in a food processor to make it easier.  Roll into a big ball and take about 1" to 2" pieces off. Pat flat with your hands and roll thin with a rolling pin unless your are skilled at flipping them from hand to hand to pat into a round tortilla.  I am not so must use the rolling pin.  Get them as then as possible. 



Put a griddle on the stove and let the sides cook until there are slightly browning.

Keep the tortillas under a towel to keep them warm and from drying out.  I put them in large baggies to save them for all the many uses they serve.  You can reheat them by putting them over a gas open fire, on a griddle or in the microwave.  Always serve them warm and keep them under a towel to preserve the heat. 

Hope you have a great day, be happy and may God bless you and yours


No comments:

Post a Comment