Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mexican Chili Con Queso

Yesterday we had book club and we celebrated Cinco de Mayo early with a buffet of Mexican foods.  It was excellent.  We had make-your-own taco salad with all kinds of fixin's, home made tamales, Spanish rice, and mango salsa with blue tortilla chips with flax seeds.  I made a churros cheese cake (already shared in previous blog) and took a chili con queso for torilla chips or to put on the taco salad.  Thought I would share the chili con queso recipe today.




1 lb. lean ground beef
1 onion 
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend
1 cup cubed Velveeta or Cheese Whiz
1 cup fresh or canned hot salsa
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper
Hot sauce to taste (I go really heavy on the hot sauce)

Over medium heat brown your ground beef.  Add a chopped onion and brown onions with the ground beef until they are tender.  Add garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to season the meat. Drain off any excess grease.

Still over heat, add your Velveeta and cheddar cheese and let it melt.   

Add about a cup of hot salsa.  I put my salsa in a small food processor to chop it as fine as possible but if you like it chucky skip that.  You may wish to add more salsa if you want more heat.  I already shared my salsa recipe with you, but you can use store bought if you like.  By using store bought salsa, this saves you cutting up jalapenos, tomoatoes, onions, etc. Everything is already done for you.  

Taste and adjust seasoning to how hot you want it.  I add hot sauce at this point and make it even hotter.  You can also add addition chili powder and cumin after tasting.  Keep tasting until you are happy with the seasoning and heat. 

I put it in a small crock pot and serve it warm with tortilla chips.

You can freeze this in two or three baggies and store it in the freezer for later if you have any left over.



I have more Mexican recipes and will share more tomorrow.  Have a great Sunday.  Just realized I did not share my normal Sunday brunch but change is good.  Be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment