Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Avocado Shrimp Salad



I bought some avocados this week and I need to use them up because they are ready to eat.  I also have some frozen small shrimp in the freezer so I am thinking an avocado and shrimp salad.  Nice thing about a salad is that you get to use up what you have.  This would be nice with tomatoes or cucumbers, but I only have radishes so they are going in to add a little heat and color.  I like to make my own dressings so I'm sharing one with you.  If you don’t have buttermilk, you can use a regular milk and the vinegar in the recipe will make it a faux buttermilk.  That is what I had to do today. 

1 bag small cooked shrimp
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Lettuce or lettuce mix
2 ripe avocados
And what ever other veggie you have in the veggie drawer

Dressing
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons buttermilk (or 3 tablespoons of milk)
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 finely chopped garlic clove

Place the thawed shrimp in a bowl and add the lemon juice and olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper and toss to coat. I try to keep a bag of small shrimp in the freezer for a soups or salads.  

Make the dressing by combining the olive oil, buttermilk, vinegar, mayonnaise, mustard, and garlic in the blender.  You may use garlic powder to taste if you like, but I keep a jar of finely chopped garlic in the refrigerator for just such occasions. Process the dressing until smooth and creamy.

Divide your lettuce and veggies on serving plates. Top with shrimp and drizzle with the dressing.  It looks good enough to eat. 



Tomorrow I will use the left over shrimp in a Thai soup I think.

It is raining here again today.  We need the ground water though so I'm not complaining here.  That rain is greening up my grass and will bring me my May flowers.  Have a great day, be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment