Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thai Soup

I love Thai food.  There is a restaurant in the QC called Exotic Thai on 53rd that is wonderful.  They have take out too.  I like that most of Thai food has heat, but not too much heat.

I wanted to make some Thai soup but can't find many of the ingredients in little Maquoketa so decided to improvise.  I bought these products with the idea of combining the two and adding chicken broth and left over shrimp for a shrimp Thai soup.  As I was reading the instructions to make it, I see the product is made in China.  I have to read my labels better in the future.  I've had it before but never noticed.  The soup turned out well and I liked it, but I just can't justify buying the product again with the history of safety of food from China.



Here is a good Thai soup recipe should you be in the big city and you can pick up the ingredients.  You can substitute some of the ingredients and usually have to with the lemon grass.


1 pound frozen small shrimp (no shells and tails to make it easy to eat)
8 cups water
1 inch ginger
Lemon zest 
1 cup shiitake mushrooms (or mushroom of your choice)
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 pound Thai noodles
1 lime juiced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
1/2 cup green onions
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Thai birdseye chilies (sliced thinly crosswise)
2 tablespoons fish sauce (I don't use because I can't justify buying for the few times I'd use it)
3 tablespoons roasted red chili paste (optional for extra heat)
2 stalks lemongrass (peeled and chopped, or lemon zest)

Bring the broth, lemon grass, ginger root and lemon to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.   If you are using large shrimp with shells, add just the shells and tails here.  I don't like to clean shrimp, so purchase it cleaned.  Strain for just the broth. 

Simmer the broth, shiitake mushrooms, chili flakes, chilies, fish sauce and roasted chili paste for 20 minutes.

Add noodles as directed on package.  Add the shrimp to the soup and simmer until cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Remove the soup from the heat and add lime juice and cilantro.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Garnish with the chopped green onions.


The moral of the story is to read your labels.  I'll try to do better in the future.


Have a great day, be happy and may God bless you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment