Monday, June 4, 2012

Swiss Steak

I made Swiss Steak with mushroom gravy last week and took some pictures so I could share it with you.  Every Wednesday a local restaurant called Flap Jacks has it as their special and my mother and I love it.  They serve it with lumpy mashed potatoes and Texas Toast so I did the same when I fixed it for guests Friday.  Try it for dinner or a get together.  It is wonderful.   

Swiss Steak

4 to 5 cub steaks
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons of onion powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon drippings (always use your bacon drippings if you have them)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups beef broth  (I used water and the new Swanson Flavor packets which I love)
1 large can of Cream of Mushroom Soup (26 oz.)
1 cup of half and half

I have a 40 year old electric fry pan that I always use when I make Swiss Steak.  I can turn it to low and slow when I’m done frying.  I fry on 350 degrees to fry and turn to slimmer once I have added the gravy.  If you don't have a large fry pan, you can fry it on top of the stove and then put it in the oven.  Make sure you cover it when you put it in the oven.  

Dredge the steak on both sides in the flour mixture.  I put them in a baggie one at a time with the flour, salt and pepper to coat them making sure they are well coated.  Helps with the mess.  

Add your bacon drippings or vegetable oil to your hot fry pan.  Do not over crowd.  Salt and pepper again and sprinkle with onion powder.  Cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 5 minutes per side. 




Remove the steaks from the pan.  You'll have lots of brown drippings on the bottom of the pan.  This is going to help make a gravy to die for.  Add the beef broth and stir well getting all the brown bits up off the bottom of the pan.  Add the Worcestershire sauce, half and half, and Cream of Mushroom soup.  Whisk until well mixed. 
  
Return the meat to the pot, making sure each steak is covered with the gravy. Cover the frying pan and put on simmer. Cook for 1 hour or until the meat is tender and falling apart.  I go back to it and turn the steak over and cover again with the gravy.  Add water if it begins to get too thick.  


You can make your own Cream of Mushroom soup, but I do it the simple way. You can also add additional mushroom if you like.  Make sure you serve them with the lumpy mashed potatoes.  I like to keep the skins on when I make mine.  Always start your potatoes in cold water and salt the water well. Boil them until the potato falls apart when you put a fork into it.  I whip them with a hand held electric mixer and add half and half and butter and salt to taste.  The gravy from the steak goes wonderful with the potatoes.  And don’t forget the Texas toast with butter to clean the gravy from your plate.

Have a great week.  Be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment