Wednesday, June 20, 2012

National Ice Cream Soda Day


Back in the 60’s on the way home from school, often my friend and I would stop at Snow White Pharmacy and have an old fashioned ice cream soda.  So in honor of National Ice Cream Soda Day, I thought I would share part of the memory and how to make an ice cream soda. 

A couple of years ago, I was in the East Village in Davenport at Lagomarcino's Confectionary.  They have an old fashion ice cream parlor that serves old fashioned ice cream sodas.  I had not had one since the 60’s so ordered one.  As I was talking about having them at Snow White’s years ago, one of the owners stopped at my table and said that their old soda fountain once belonged to Snow White, making the experience even sweeter.  They bought it when Snow White’s closed their doors.

Picture of owners at Lagomarcino's and the soda fountain is behind them
The memory was so good, that I had to learn to make them myself and I no longer have to drive to Davenport for one.  I just make them at home.


Ice Cream Soda

¼ cup chocolate syrup (I use the new Hershey's dark chocolate syrup)
¼ cup milk
1 large scoop of vanilla ice cream
8 oz. Club Soda (I use Canada Dry)

Put the chocolate syrup in the bottom of a tall glass.  Add your milk in the syrup and stir it until it is well mixed.  Add the soda water almost to the top of the glass.  Add the ice cream to the top.  Serve with a long spoon and two straws.  Does that conjure up good memories for me.

You may drizzle the top of the soda with a little more chocolate syrup or top with whipped cream and a cherry if you like, but I like mine plain.

Here is wishing you a happy National Ice Cream Soda Day.  I think I’ll have to make a trip to the store to get some club soda and ice cream so I can make my self a new memory.  Be happy and may God bless you and yours.   

No comments:

Post a Comment