Saturday, June 16, 2012

National Fudge Day


I’m a bit of a traditionalist and when it comes to fudge, I keep using the same old recipe (If it ain't broke don't fix it). I have used the same recipe since I used to make it and send it over seas to Ed and Dallas when they were in the Navy.  That goes way back to their Viet Nam service in the late 60’s.  They loved to receive it and shared it with their fellow sailors on the aircraft carriers USS Ranger and USS Hornet (Ed's carriers) and the USS Henry B. Wilson (Dal's destroyer).  It is funny what memories come with certain food.  This fudge conjures up memories of the sailors on those ships and the ships.  The fudge was sweet, but all of the memories are not.  I dedicate this blog to all those that have served in Viet Nam.  Thank you for your service.

The fudge is called fail proof fudge and that is why I continue to use it.  It has never failed me as long as I followed the directions.  It is really creamy and everyone seems to like it.  Since it is National Fudge Day, I thought that I would share it with you.  I make several batches of this every Christmas. 

3 cups of sugar
1 ½ sticks of butter (3/4 cups)
1 small 5 oz. can of evaporated milk
1 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I always use Nestles)
1 7 oz.  jar of marshmallow cream
1 cup of your favorite nuts (I use walnuts)
1 tps. vanilla

Butter a 9 inch square pan lightly or line it with aluminum foil so you can pull it out for easier cutting.

Add sugar, butter and evaporated milk in a saucepan and bring it to a full rolling boil on medium heat stirring constantly.  Boil for a full 4 minutes or until candy thermometer reaches 235 degrees.  This is important or it will be runny. If you don't have a candy thermometer you can pick them up for a dollar at a Super Dollar Store.  They are worth having.  Remove the fudge from heat and add marshmallow and mix well.  Add the chocolate chips and mix until they are all melted and well mixed.  Stir in the vanilla.  Add you nuts and stir.  Pour the hot fudge into your pan and let it cool. 

Variation

I have played with this recipe and made it into a rocky road fudge also.  After you have added the vanilla and the fudge has cooled just a bit, add 2 cups of miniature marshmallows with the nuts.  Do not add them until it has cooled a bit though.  You do not want them to melt.  I usually use walnuts, but you can add macadamia nuts, almonds, pecans or no nuts at all.  I like to give fudge as gifts at Christmas and I have a friend that does not like nuts so I always make a batch for her and the grandkids that would rather have it plain. 



 Hope you enjoy it.  Be happy and may God bless you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment