Thursday, October 3, 2013

Banana Bread

It is suppose to rain today and I have very ripe bananas that I have forgotten to use so guess that mean today is a good day to make banana bread.  I have a new recipe I want to try.  I have used the same one for years and want to see if there is one better.  I’ve played with it and am very pleased the new one.  The recipe calls for buttermilk and I’ve never seen one that calls for milk.  It also called for oil but I’m still going to use butter.  I wish I had walnuts but I was out.  It would be twice as good with nuts.  I think I’m going to change to this recipe in the future.  It is extra moist and I like it better than my old recipe I have used for over 40 years.  Sometimes you need to try something new.  You may find it better than the same old, same old. 


1 ¾  cup flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. Kosher salt
2 eggs
5 mashed bananas (more the better)
½ cup butter
¼ cup plus 1 tbs. of buttermilk
½ cup walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Combine all of the dry ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the wet ingredients. Once mixed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until the batter is smooth.

I did not have buttermilk so I used 2% milk and a ½ tsp. of vinegar as a substitute for buttermilk.  I was still pleased with the outcome.

Spray your loaf pan(s) with cooking spray and pour the batter into the greased loaf pan(s).  Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.  Makes 1 9” x 5” loaf. 

The batter is runnier than what I’m used to, but made it a lighter, moister loaf.

Tip: Depending on your oven, begin testing the bread with a toothpick after 40 minutes. If the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done. If not, keep baking and testing every 5 minutes.

The secret to great banana bread is extremely ripe bananas (black is good) and lots of bananas.  I always add more than the recipe calls for.  The recipe called for 4 so I put in 5.  The recipe also called for vanilla, but I did not put it in.  I want it to taste like bananas.  It also called for just white sugar but I put in both white and brown sugar.  

I like to make mine in little 5 1/2 x 3 inch loaves.  I can give a loaf to mom or as a gift.  This recipe will make 1 large loaf or 3 small.  Bake 30 minutes for the small loaves and then start testing for doneness. I had to add another 10 minutes (5 and 5).


After cooling the bread outside of the pan, I put them in baggies to keep them extra moist and store them in the refrigerator. 

Serve yourself a piece hot out of the oven with a little butter to reward yourself for your hard work. 


The house smells wonderful and I have a new recipe.  It is a very good day.  Try something new, be happy and may God bless you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment