Friday, October 11, 2013

Apple Nut Oatmeal Bake

I’m still thinking apples at my house.  They are perfect for a fall day.  This is a new recipe I played with and have tested.  I’m making it up today and I’m going to share some in the form of muffins with my mom.  I’ll take some over to her today when we go to run our errands.  This one takes a little time because you have to let it rest for 3 hours or overnight so you’ll need to plan ahead.  It is great served warm and perfumes the entire house making everyone hungry. Also great for Sunday brunch since it is like an oatmeal almost.


Apple Nut Oatmeal Bake

2 eggs
¼ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup butter
1 can of canned apples or a pint of Apple-Pie-in-a-Jar
1 ¼ cups milk (I used 2%, but you may use whole milk)
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
½ cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup brown sugar for mixture + 1/3 cup brown sugar at the end for topping
½ tsp. Kosher salt
2 tsp. flax seed (optional)


I like to put all my ingredients out and then I put them away as I use them to help with a clean cooking space.  It also assures me I have everything I need for the recipe.  This is my little table that sits close to my counter so I work from the counter and reach for the ingredient as I need it and then put the ingredient away once added.

Melt your butter.  Combine all ingredients except the oats in a large bowl. If your apples are sliced large, make sure you slice them into small ½ inch pieces. Add oats and mix well.

Cover the mixture and refrigerate for 3 hours (or over night if you wish).  This allows time for the oatmeal to soak up the milk and liquids. 


 Spray your baking dish.  Stir the mixture one last time to make sure all the liquid is soaked in and distributed equally.  Transfer the mixture to the 9 x 13 inch dish.  In my case, I’m going to make it in a 9 x 9 and some muffins from the recipe.  It is nice to have alternatives.

Heat your oven to 375 degrees.  Bake for 30 minutes or until just firm in the center. Remove dish from oven, set oven to broil, and sprinkle another 1/3 cup of brown sugar over top of oatmeal. Broil for a minute, watching very closely until the topping is melted and lightly browned.  This gives a nice sweet crunch to the top. 

Cover and store leftovers in the refrigerator if there are any.  You may reheat in the microwave.

If you are making it in muffins cups you can get 8 regular muffins cups or 6 jumbo cups.  Bake the regular ones for approximately 20 minutes.  The jumbo will take 30 minutes.  I also cut the time on the 9 x 9 pan and started checking it after 20 minutes.


Want to make it even healthier?  You can add raisins if you like. 

On my way over to moms with my goodies.  Stay healthy, be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment