Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Salad Plate




I cleaned out my refrigerator yesterday and needed to use up some of my left overs.  Back in the 60’s when I worked at Haye’s Café, Duane had what he called a salad plate on the menu.  It came to mind when I saw some of my left overs.  I had left over shrimp salad, egg salad and cottage cheese.  Duane’s plate had a scoop of tuna salad, potato salad and cottage cheese, so I thought my left overs would make good substitutes for his salads.  I also had quite a few left over fresh veggies to use up and used them to garnish the plate.

So I’m sharing my version of a salad plate.  


I already shared the shrimp salad recipe with you, but I’ll share it again so you do not have to look it up.  My first meal with it was on a sandwich but you can forget the bread.  It is pretty simple. 

Shrimp Salad

¼  cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ pounds boiled small shrimp (add a little salt and butter to water)
2 stalks celery
¼ cup sliced chives or green onion (optional)

Egg Salad

4 boiled eggs
¼ cup mayonnaise (you may use light if you like)
1 tsp. yellow mustard
1 tsp. sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
2 stalks of celery (you may substitute sweet pickles if you like or use both)
½ tsp. onion powder

Boil your eggs for 10 minutes in a hard boil.  Once the boiled eggs are cooled a little bit crack them and let them set in cold water for 10 minutes.  The eggs are easier to peal if you crack them while they are warm and then set in cold water.  Chop your eggs and add to the mayo mixture of mustard, sugar, salt, pepper, celery and onion powder. 

Cover your plate with lettuce leaves and using an ice cream scoop, put one scoop of your cottage cheese, one scoop of your shrimp salad and one of the egg salad on your leaves.  Garnish your plate with what ever veggies or accoutrements you like.  Make sure there is a salt shaker available to anyone that would like to salt the veggies a bit. 

Variation - Try it with ham salad or chicken salad.  You may serve some nice crackers with the salad if you like also.  There are so many variations you can come up with.

Have a great day, be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment