Monday, November 21, 2011

Pride


Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need. – Kahlil Gibran


What is it in people that one person can ask for help so easily and another is so proud that it is almost impossible for them to ask for help?  I personally find it very difficult to ask for help and take great pride in what I have done by myself with the help of God and a few good friends I can always count on should I really need them.  I guess I am very independent which lends itself to it.  I find myself wondering why there seem to be so many takers today.  Part of it is that people’s value systems are putting money first.   I find it very frightening. 

I’m a convert to the Catholic faith.  I was raised a protestant and as a young adult started instruction in Milwaukee with a wonderful priest called Father Reginald.  It is because of him that I finally decided to convert to Catholicism.  He was extremely liberal in his views.  He ended up leaving to do missionary work in Africa.  I moved back home to Maquoketa for a short time and completed my instruction with an extremely conservative priest, keeping all that Father Reginald had taught me.  Like in all things, we have to make choices and Father Reginald allowed me to make choices of what to believe in.  He actually said “Take what you want and disregard the rest” and I have lived with that in my faith.   Pretty radical, but I grabbed it and ran with it. 

In our long conversations, the sin of pride was discussed at length and has always been a great issue with me.  I asked him, “How do you know if you have too much pride?”  He answered, “If you have to ask, you probably have too much.”  I laughed and said, “But I take pride in my pride.”  So I recognize that pride may be my greatest sin and think I will always struggle with it.  I seldom ask for help except from God Himself.  I ask Him for His help daily. 

What is the old saying?  Pride goeth before a fall.  It will always be a battle for me. God help me not to fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment