Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Porcupine Meatballs


This is a recipe that comes from the 50’s.  I first had it at a church dinner and have loved it ever since.  It is a good dish for when ever I have left over rice.  The rice poking out from the meatballs inspired someone to name it porcupine meatballs.  


Porcupine Meatballs

1 1/2 lbs. of lean hamburger
1 cup of cooked rice
2 eggs
1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can 29 oz tomato sauce or original recipe called for a can of tomato soup


Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the first 7 ingredients together with your hands.  Roll your meatballs into golf ball sized meatballs.  Bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until they are brown.   Once they are brown, cover them with tomato sauce and put back into the oven for another 10 minutes.  The original recipe I made for years called for tomato soup but since Saylor can’t have milk products I am now using tomato sauce.

It makes over 2 dozen meatballs. 

Tomorrow I think I'll share my Italian meatball recipe with you.

Have a great day, be happy and may God bless you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment