Thursday, May 16, 2013

Beef and Brown Rice


Beef, it’s what for dinner.  Eddie gave me a couple packages of beef stew meat and I’m going to make a beef and rice dish with one of the packages today.  This is an easy crock pot recipe except for the rice.  I love brown rice and it is so good for you, so I’m using brown rice today.  Just follow the directions on the rice package.  I’m keeping the beef simple, but you may goose it up a bit if you like.  


2 pounds boneless beef stew pieces
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 garlic cloves
Sesame seeds 
1/4 cup cornstarch and a couple of tablespoons water for a slurry
Cooked brown rice

Place beef cubes in a crock pot.

In a small bowl, combine the beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, and garlic. Pour over beef. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.  Turn crock pot up to high.

To make your corn starch slurry, stir cornstarch and water until smooth. Add to crock pot. Stir well to combine.

Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes on high (the sauce has to boil for it to thicken).

Serve over hot cooked brown rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Variation – Add broccoli or mushrooms to the crock pot.  When serving, you can also chop green onions and sprinkle on top of the beef..

I also love heat with the sweet.  Add 2 pinches of red pepper flakes (crush in your hand to break up) or hot sauce to the broth.  Add slowly and taste until you are happy with the heat. I just used 2  pinches of flakes.  I also have added onion powder for additional flavor.

I didn't have sesame oil once so made my own by taking 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds and 1 tablespoon of oil and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds.  I added the mixture to crock pot with the broth to slow cook.

Have an amazing day, be happy and may God bless you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment