Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Polish Kielbasa and Apples


I love Polish Kielbasa.  I've told the story of my living very near to a Polish butcher shop in Milwaukee and picking up fresh Kielbasa.  I ate an awful lot of Kielbasa in my Milwaukee days.  I will eat it plain, but if I can find a good recipe to goose it up, I’ll give it a try.  I found this one and needing to get rid of apples from my tree had to try it.  I used Golden Delicious apples though.  It is wonderful.  It is so good, you can also use it as a stuffing in Iowa Chops or butterflied chicken breasts.  Hope you enjoy it.


Kielbasa and Apples

14 oz. Kielbasa sausage
1 large onion
2 Granny Smith apples
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Sage and thyme (fresh if you can)

Prep work - Chop you apples and onions.

Heat butter in a large skillet. When melted, add the onions and apples and cook on low for 5 to 10 minutes until slightly caramelized. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the thyme and sage, stirring to evenly combine. Cover and continue to cook on low for about 15 minutes or until everything is heated through and the brown sugar has formed a syrupy glaze. Plate and garnish with the fresh herbs.  If you do not have fresh, you can add the herbs while cooking.  Do not use much sage or it will over whelm the dish.  Season to taste.

It is suppose to rain today so it would be a nice warm dish for supper.  Be happy and may God bless you and yours.   

No comments:

Post a Comment