Sunday, May 6, 2012

Wingin’ It




I love these things.  I’d be happy to have nothing else for supper….just hot wings.  I don’t need to dip ‘em.  I’m happy just to eat them by themselves and suck the bone clean.  I thought I’d share how I make them. 

Hot Wings

I have no real secret accept the key word is simple again.  Hot wings are nothing more than deep frying wings until they are done and crispy and tossing them in your favorite hot sauce.  Here is how I make mine.

I do not flour my wings.  I just deep fry them at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes (depending on the size of the wing) in deep oil until they are done.  I use vegetable oil.

I do not like the wing tips on mine so cut them off.  This recipe is for about 2 dozen wings. Drop you wings into the oil.  Do not over crowd the oil with chicken.  Make sure your wings are not frozen and that they are not wet.  They should be dried with a dry cloth or set out to air dry before frying.  That gives them a real crispy skin.  Take out of the oil with a slotted spoon and let them drain well on a rack or paper towel. 

Hot Sauce

4 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
5 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (I like Louisiana Hot Sauce)

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Stir in the vinegar and hot pepper sauce.  When the sauce is hot, drop in the wings and coat them well.  Let them simmer a little to absorb the sauce.  Salt and pepper to taste.

You can serve them with celery and carrot sticks and a blue cheese dressing or a ranch dressing for dipping. 

Thai Chicken Wings

Use the same method of deep frying, coating and baking your wings as above.  


Sauce

1 cup water
1 cup rice vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. ginger fresh (cut in half if you use powdered)
2 tsp. chili pepper flakes
2 tsp. ketchup
2 tsp corn starch

Mix all ingredients well with a whisk and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Put through a strainer and store in jar and refrigerate.  This sauce is quite hot.  If it is too hot, cut the peppers flakes to 1 tsp.  Sprinkle chives or green onions on top of the wings.   Serve some extra Thai sauce on the side.  I like to serve with sliced cucumbers to help cut the heat.  

This is a great dipping sauce for any meat.  I love it with pork also.  Add a little to your mayo and you will have a whole new spicy spread for your sandwich.

Be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment