Tuesday, May 15, 2012

National Chocolate Chip Day


Today is National Chocolate Chip Day, so in honor of it I’m making Chocolate Chip cookies.  Get out your favorite chocolate chip recipe and make something wonderful for your family.  

Toll House Cookie

I really don’t have to give you a recipe because I use the Toll House Cookie recipe on the back of Nestle’s Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips package.  They have some other good recipes on the back also.  I have never found any better chocolate chip cookie than the Toll House Cookie.  I’ll just give you my little secrets which I think I have already shared in a previous blog, but in case you didn’t catch it….here goes.

Measure very carefully.  It must be exact measurements or it will not be the great cookie it can be.  

I like my chocolate chip cookie very soft and moist (chewy, ewy good as they say and warm out of the oven is heaven).  Do not over bake them or they get hard.  I only bake them for 10 minutes at 350 degrees and then take them out of the oven.  You might be temped to let it brown a little more, but it continues to bake a bit after you take them out of the oven.  I take them off of the cookie sheet as soon as possible so they don’t continue to bake more also.  As soon as they have cooled, I put them on a paper plate and into a large baggie to stay moist.

I only use butter.  It makes a big difference in the taste.

I love nuts so add pecan to my recipe.  My grandsons do not like nuts so if I’m making them for them, I make some without nuts and then the last batch I put in the oven I add nuts just for me. 

I do have a gluten free chocolate cookie that I make for my grandson I will share, but I’m sorry it is not as good as the Toll House cookie.  It is a moist cookie.  He also has to have dairy free so I use a dairy free chocolate chip and he likes these. 

Gluten Free and Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 10 oz. bag of Enjoy Life Mini Chips which are dairy, nut and soy free  (there is a recipe on the bag but I use a simpler one) 
2/3 cup Crisco
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ cup soy flour
½ tsp. soda
½ tsp. salt

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Mix Crisco, sugars, egg and vanilla well.  Mix soy flour, salt and soda and add to mixture.  Stir in your chips.  Drop with a teaspoon onto a Siltpat, parchment paper, or ungreased baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes or until very lightly browned on edges.  Makes a little over 2 dozen.  Put in a large baggie as soon as possible to keep moist. 

Hope you have a wonderful National Chocolate Chip Day and have a cookie or other dessert full of chocolate chips.

Tomorrow it is my favorite Chinese recipes.

Be happy and may God bless you and yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment