Thursday, May 10, 2012

Dried Apple Snacks


In celebration of Cinco De Mayo this week end I had to put out my vintage table cloth.  Makes a nice picture with my Fire King.  I love collecting old kitchen utensils, vintage table clothes and dishes.  My collecting is even about food.

I had several Grannie Smith apples that were getting soft so thought I’d dry them this week to extend their life.  They became a sweet snack that I could save in a jar for a longer shelf life than an apple. 

Dried Apple Slices

Apples
Cinnamon
Sugar
Lemon juice

Core your apple leaving the skin on.  I use a apple corer/slicer that I use a lot when canning, but you can do it all by hand.  Slice the pieces as thinly as possible and toss them in a little lemon juice.  Put some sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and toss in your slices and coat each slice well until they are completely covered with the mixture. 



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

Put your apple slices on a Silpat (I love these things for clean up and not sticking) or put down some parchment paper or aluminum foil, layout your coated apple slices.  Do not let them touch.  Put them in the oven and turn the heat down to 150 or your lowest setting. 

After 3 hours turn them over.  Keep them in the oven at least 6 hours or until they are completely dried.   You can store them in canning jars.  They make a great snack for the lunch box or camping. 

Want to get fancy, slice your apples horizontally and then use cookie cutters and core out the middle with little hearts or small animal cracker cookie cutters. 

Be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment