Saturday, November 23, 2013

Turkey Dressing Sandwiches



In Iowa, to extend turkey for large groups of people like a wedding reception or anniversary party, we make turkey dressing sandwiches on a bun.  It is another starch on starch recipe like our chicken and noodles on mashed potatoes.  If you grew up on it like I did, you’ll love it.

I’m not cooking the turkey this year for Thanksgiving so I’m not going to have left overs.  I bought myself a small turkey breast today and roasted it up, so I can have left overs to make dressing sandwiches. Here is the recipe if you can’t wait for turkey like me or to use your left over turkey after the big day. 

Small cooked full turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 medium stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 medium carrot, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 package (14 ounces) sage and onion stuffing mix
2 cups chicken broth
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Hamburger buns

Chop your onion, celery and carrot in a food processor. 

Toss all ingredients except buns into a 4 quart slow cooker.  When you pick your turkey, you will want 50% turkey and 50% dressing.  Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.  To serve, scoop about 1/2 cup turkey mixture into each buttered bun. You can also speed things up and roast in the oven at 350 degrees until toasted on top (about 30 minutes).

The recipe makes it a little easy on you because it uses a premixed sage and onion stuffing mix.  I like the Brownsberry but there are many out there right now.  You can also use stale left over bread (toast it under the broiler a little) and add some sage, salt and pepper.
  

Variation – A great cook that I worked with years ago liked to add cream of mushroom soup to hers and would put some turkey gravy on top.  I loved hers.  She also left out the carrots and celery.  If you want to try hers, just add the soup and slowly add the broth to make sure it is not too wet.  You may not end up needing all of it.  Save your demi glace from your roasted turkey and make gravy by adding a little chicken broth, seasoning (I just season with salt and pepper) and a slurry of cornstarch and water.  When you put it in the crock pot or oven, put a layer of gravy on top to seep down into the dressing.


The juice in the bottom of the pan is your demi glace and makes the best gravy because of the bone in.

I’ll be using some of this for another starch of starch recipe of turkey and noodles on mashed potatoes.  Yum. 

I can’t wait for Thanksgiving.  Be happy and may God bless you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment