Friday, November 1, 2013

Egg Drop Soup

I’m a bit under the weather and thought egg drop soup would settle my stomach so making some today with the chicken broth I made last night.  I’m just going to goose it up a bit.  Maybe the turmeric will bring me back to good health.  It also gives it that nice yellow color.  I consider this comfort food.  I love this soup as plain as it is. 



4 cups chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
Pinch of white pepper (Optional)
2 eggs
1 egg yolk

Reserve 3/4 cup of chicken broth, and pour the rest into a large saucepan. Stir the salt, turmeric, garlic powder and ginger into the saucepan, and bring to a rolling boil. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining broth and cornstarch until smooth.  Add to the boiling broth and stir until thick.    

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk together using a fork. Take broth off of heat.  Add eggs slowly, stirring soup slowly but constantly with wooden spoon. A pinch of white pepper.  It adds depth of flavor. Egg should cook immediately.  You may wish to use more eggs.

You may serve with crisp noodles.  I like mine plain. 

Hope you have a great day, be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment