Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Corn Bread Pudding


While having a test run last week at the hospital, the tech asked me what I was doing for Thanksgiving and what was my favorite dish.  He said he looked forward to the green bean casserole and could hardly wait to bite into the crispy onion rings on top.  I never eat the green bean casserole and told him he could eat mine.  That has got me on a quest to look for something new and different for Thanksgiving.  How about a corn puddin'?

2 cups yellow self-rising cornmeal mix
1 can drained corn (you may use thawed frozen corn if you like)
1 cream style corn
2 eggs
1 stick butter
¼ cup green onion
1 tsp. salt
½ cup buttermilk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Mix cornmeal with the corn.  Add eggs and butter and mix.  Add onion (you may substitute the green onion with regular grated onion if you like), salt, buttermilk and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.  Pour into a sprayed casserole dish.  Sprinkle the remaining cup of shredded cheese on top.  Bake in preheated 400 degree oven 35 to 40 minutes until brown on top.  Makes about 12 large servings.

Note:  If you can’t find self-rising cornmeal mix, you can make your own using regular cornmeal. 

For 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix combine:
¾ cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons flour
1 tbs. baking powder

½ tsp. salt

I get off easy this year because I only have to carry a couple of side dishes.  Only problem with that is, I won't have turkey left overs though.  I'll still put a turkey breast in the oven for left overs just for me.  What are you having?

Just a little over a week away.  I can hardly wait.

Have a great day, be happy and may God bless you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment