Sunday, January 27, 2013

Bacon, Jalapeno and Apple Jam Chicken Wings


Last night I made chicken wings using the jam recipe I made this week.  It was a test to see what I could use the jam on and the wings were outstanding.   I also tried it on meatballs earlier this week and it was good, but I loved the wings.  I'm now going to try to use it in my baked bean.  I love Bush's Original Baked Beans, but usually goose them up with maple syrup, bacon, onion powder, and a barbecue sauce for a little heat.  My thought was that the jam has some of that in it so am adding a couple of teaspoons full to my beans.

To make the wings, I pre-baked the wings.   Preheat then oven to 425 degrees F.

Oil a baking sheet (or 2) and spread your wings out evenly.  Salt and pepper the wings.  


Bake in oven for 45 to 60 minutes. You want to make sure they’re nice and crispy!

In a large bowl, mix your jam with a tablespoon of warm water.  Drop your baked wings into the mixture and toss to fully coat with the jam. 


You may sprinkle them with sesame seeds or green onion when serving.  

Repeating bacon, jalapeno, apple Jam recipe again.


Bacon, Jalapeno and Apple Jam

9 slices of pre-cooked bacon cut up with kitchen scissors into small pieces
2 large apples, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch dices or grated (I grated the apple for quicker cooking)
Dash of salt
1/2 cup diced jalapenos (deseeded and chopped in small food processor)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar or a good balsamic vinegar (I used a good balsamic)
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
½ cup maple syrup
¾  cup apple cranberry juice

Fry bacon and set aside or you can use the precooked bacon for convenience like I did. 

In a medium sauce pan, cook your apples in the apple cranberry juice until tender.  Add the vinegar, sugars, maple syrup, salt, jalapeno's and bacon.

Bring the jam to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low.  Simmer for 60 minutes.  Stir the jam every 15 minutes.

If you do not like heat, you may wish to reduce the amount of peppers in half.  With the extra sugar I added to the recipe, I’m happy with the heat because I deseeded the pepper.  I really like the brown sugar and maple syrup flavor with the bacon.

To test you jam, put a half teaspoonful of the jelly on a chilled plate (put plate in the freezer). Allow the jelly to cool a few seconds; push it with your fingertip. If it wrinkles up, it's ready.  If not, then boil another 15 minutes and test again. 

Store the jam in the refrigerator.

Try it.....you'll like it if you like bacon, heat, and sweet.  That is me all over.

Be happy and may God bless you and yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment