Friday, September 7, 2012

Hot Cocoa Mix


Going to grocery store and have all the ingredients for hot cocoa mix on my grocery list.  As usual, I’m way ahead of most in thinking about Christmas.  My goal each year is to have all my shopping done before Thanksgiving and there have been years that the gifts were also wrapped by then.  I put my tree up the day after Thanksgiving because I love the holiday so.  I also take it down the day after Christmas to move on and focus on new experiences.  So in keeping with my rush for Christmas (not bad weather), sharing an inexpensive gift you can give yourself, your family and friends. 

It won’t be long and I will be needing hot cocoa because I don’t drink coffee. I’ll need something warm on chilly fall mornings.  Raining and chilly this morning and I think fall is finally around the corner.

This mix should be enough to last all winter and still give some away.  


Rich Hot Cocoa Mix

1 box (about 14-qt.) powdered milk
1  1 lb. box powdered sugar
1  2 lb. box Nestle's Quik or similar product
¼ cup of dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa
1 7 or 8 oz. jar Coffee Mate

In a large airtight container (a Texas gallon ice cream bucket works well), mix ingredients together well until even colored and no streaks remain. Cover tightly with a snap top lid and keep away from humidity. Put a plastic 1/4 or 1/3 measuring cup in the container and leave it there for convenient measuring.

Measure out 1/4 or 1/3 cup of the mix, depending on how rich you like your hot cocoa and stir into 1 cup boiling water and stir well.  Drop in some miniature marshmallows or dollop of whipped cream to make it extra rich.  Personally, I prefer the marshmallows.  You can even add a bag of miniature marshmallows to the mix.  At Christmas serve with a peppermint candy cane or sprinkle the top of the marshmallows or whipped cream with red and/or green sugar crystals or chocolate chips or shavings to make it extra festive. 

Tip:  If you are a coffee lover, put 1/4 or 1/3 cup of the mix in a cup of coffee or add 1/2 cup of coffee granules to the recipe above. 

This also makes a nice Christmas gift.  Fill a mason jar with the mix and tie a nice Christmas bow on it.  You can also put a tag on it with the recipe so they can make it in the future. The recipe makes many servings, keeps indefinitely, and saves you money.  Can't beat that.

You can get labels and print what ever you like to make it your own.  I love this one.


This is Sam's weekend so I'll be sending a quart jar of it home with him.  Will be something warm after those cold nights of football practice and games.  He has to bulk up because he is playing defensive end this year.  He is turning 14 this weekend (and is 1 inch short of 6 foot tall) and is still willing and wanting to give up his weekend to spend his weekend with Grandma.  I'm so blessed and am so proud of him.

Tomorrow I making a recipe someone shared on FB for Texas Roadhouse Rolls and Cinnamon Honey Butter.  I'll let you know if it is close to the real thing tomorrow.

Have a great Friday and be happy.  May God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment