Sunday, September 23, 2012

Homemade Sweet and Salty Chips

Yesterday I shared a fellow FB page with my FB friends.  It was an Apple Quesadillas.  It looked wonderful but I lacked some of the ingredients without going to the store, so I thought I'd make up some of my tortilla chips instead.  I am going to make them though the next time I get to the store.  I have to add tortilla to my list now because mine are all gone.  They are a great thing to keep in your frig because you can always make up a quick quesadilla up with nothing more than some pepper cheese and a little left over chicken.




I cut up tortillas in half, cut again into quarters and then again into eights using a kitchen scissors.  Heat up a fry pan with about 1/2 inch of oil it it.  Use medium heat and no higher or you will burn them.  Use your favorite oil.  I used canola oil today because I don't want to taste the oil.


When your oil is hot drop in just a few and do not walk away.  It only takes about 1 minute before you need to flip them with a slotted spatula.


When they are crispy and golden remove from heat and let them drain on a piece of paper towel.  Sprinkle them very lightly with kosher salt while they are still hot.


My grandson Saylor loves these and we make them together when he is here.  He cuts them up and I fry them.  Since he can't have gluten these are made with only corn flour.  I also make them first so there is no chance of frying in oil that had gluten in it.  He likes them plain.  I like to dip them in homemade salsa.



Next using flour tortillas, cut them up.  I like to get fancy for the grand kids and when cutting them, I cut a little of the top off of the chip to make it look like a heart but you don't have to fuss unless it is for someone special you want to say I love you to.  Divide them up into two plates since we are going to make both powdered sugar ones and cinnamon and sugar one.

Again I fry them in hot oil.  Be careful in frying these because the flour tortilla fries up very quickly.  They only need a matter of a few seconds.  Flip allowing it to get crispy on both sides and put on a piece of paper towel to drain.


Using powdered sugar dust the chips lightly with the sugar while they are still hot.  When plating, shake off any excess sugar.


Serve them with a small bowl of chocolate syrup to dip in or they stand well on their own.  I'm serving them with the Hershey's dark chocolate syrup.



Take your remaining plate of uncut and uncooked chips and fry them up being care to not leave them or you will burn them.  Drain on a paper towel and dust them with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar while they are hot.  I make up a small jar of cinnamon and sugar and have it on hand for youngest grandson because he loves cinnamon and sugar toast.  If you can get the Mexican cinnamon, the chips will have a more complex  taste.  I really like it, but don't worry if you don't have it.


Serve it with apple sauce.  I'm serving mine with my own homemade apple sauce I've made.

Give one or all of them a try.  Hope you have a wonderful Sunday.  Be happy and may God bless you and yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment