Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Crock Pot Spare Ribs

Crock Pot Spare Ribs



I watched an IPTV show last week that made me hungry for barbeque ribs.  They stood the ribs up in a slow cooker and I had never done that before.  Mine have always been floating in a pool of fat that wasn't very applying. It made me want to try it their way, so I went out and bought ribs at the little local grocery store here in DeWitt.  They only had one rack of ribs, so I had to cut down my recipe but I’m giving you the full rub recipe for two racks they shared except with my own spin as always.  They made their own sauce and I’m making it easy on me by using my favorite store-bought sauce.    Who does not love ribs? Low and slow is the secret in making tender ribs and what better way than using a slow cooker or crock pot.

Rub
2 Tbs. paprika
1 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. onion powder
1 Tbs. Kosher salt
½ Tbs. pepper
¼ Cup brown sugar

Ribs
2 Racks of St. Louis style spare ribs.  They are the belly ribs with the belly cut off just leaving the ribs.  You can substitute baby back ribs but there is less meat on them.  The baby back ribs come from the back.

Sauce

I’m using my favorite store-bought sauce which is Sweet Baby Ray’s.  You can use as much as you like.  I do.

Bess is waiting for the bones

Pat the ribs dry with a paper towel on both sides.  Mix your rub and rub the spice mixture to the meaty side of the ribs.  You do not need to put it on the side with the membrane.  The ribs will be so tender you dol not need to remove the membrane.  Again, make it simple on yourself.

Cut your two racks of ribs in half.  With the fattest end of the ribs down, place the 4 racks of ribs in the cock pot circling the sides with the bones sticking up vertically and leaving the center of the crock pot empty.  You are going to cook them with no liquid.  They will produce their own from rendering of  the fat and the ribs will surprisingly keep their moisture. Put your crock pot on low and cook for 7 hours.  They should be almost falling off the bone tender.  You can put it on high and cook for 5 hours if you wish to speed things up but remember low and slow is the best.



When they are done, place on a cutting board and let them rest for 10 minutes.  After they have rested add your barbeque sauce with a brush.  Pre-heat your broiler in the oven.  Cover a sheet pan with aluminum foil for easy lean up and place your ribs on the sheet.  When the broiler is heated put them under the broiler for 5 minutes.  Do not walk away or they will burn.  Stand there and watch them until they have chared to your liking. Take them out and they should have a nice char on them just like they were grilled.  Add additional barbeque sauce, slice your ribs and serve.  What is your favorite sauce.  Share your sauce recipe if you like. 

Have a great day and blessings to your and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment