Sunday, February 18, 2018

Chorizo and Huevos Breakfast


When I was a Vista Volunteer living in Milwaukee on the near southside I was introduced to Mexican food for the first time. I remember going to the local Mexican grocery store after church and buying some of their barbeque beef.  I still remember it as being wonderfully sweet and the smell.  I had grown up on meat and potatoes coming from rural Iowa and fell in love with Mexican foods.  I had my first Mexican eggs and sausage at a friend’s home.  She used tortillas to eat almost all her meals and seldom used eating utensils.  She picked up her food with a tortilla and did not need a spoon or fork.  Ever since, I have used tortillas to eat a chorizo and huevos breakfast.  I rip a piece of the tortilla off and pick up the eggs and sausage with the tortilla or I wrap them in a tortilla and eat them as a burrito.  It is the only way to go when enjoying chorizo and huevos.

Eddie and Staci have 11 chickens that produce the most beautiful light green and brown eggs and there is always eggs in the refrigerator.  I bought some chorizo because the boys love eating it the way I learned to eat them.  It is Sunday morning and I’m making a pan of traditional chorizo and huevos for breakfast.  Thought I’d share the experience. 



Chorizo Sausage
Eggs
Mexican blend cheeses
Flour tortillas
Salt and pepper

Cut the sausage out of it's casing.  Fry up your chorizo until it is fully cooked.  Pour off the fat.  You do not need to use any grease in the pan when frying because the sausage renders plenty.  Whisk you eggs until well beaten and add salt and pepper.  You do not need much because the sausage is well seasoned.  Add the beaten eggs to the sausage.  Add a handful of shredded cheese .

When your eggs are done take off the heat and serve immediately with warmed tortillas.  


To warm your tortillas put them in the microwave for a minute and cover them up in a towel to keep them warm. You family can decide if they wish to turn it into a burrito and tear up the tortilla to pick up the eggs.  Put the hot sauce on the table for the ones that need it.  Slice an avocado and/or a fresh tomato to add to the plate for color and garnish. 



If there is any left over eggs make up burritos and put in a baggie for tomorrows breakfast.  You can just nuke them for a minute in the microwave.  That is if they make it until tomorrow morning.

The kitchen will smell great.  Have a great Sunday. Blessing to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment