Sunday, January 28, 2018

White Bean Chili


I love This is Us on NBC.  I hate when it is over because I’m always left wanting more.  I’m blessed because I can watch missed episodes on the web or watch it again.  This week the show had Rebecca making chili for the Super Bowl party they were going to have.  I thought I would share a new chili recipe that Staci introduced me to and I fell in love with.  It is a white bean chili that I had never had before.  She said she got the recipe from a cook at school and they used to eat it at school. I liked it better than the traditional ham and bean soup.

I’m simplifying it and cutting the work and time.


White Bean Chili 



2 Cans of Bushes White Bean with chili sauce
2 Cups chicken (use canned chicken or rotisserie picked chicken)
1 tsp. onion powder
4 oz. can green chilies finely chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whole milk

Bushes makes a can of white chili beans that has a mild chili sauce in it, so you would not have to buy or use the chilies saving you work, money and time.  Add the chilies to your taste.

Add your pulled chicken, onion powder, green chilies, stock, ground cumin, salt and pepper to a large pot. Bring it all to a boil.

Let it all simmer about 15 minutes. Immediately before serving, stir in the sour cream and milk so the milk does not curdle.

I loved it just the way it was but if I had to play with it I might add kale to it for a little color and nutrition.  I love kale.

Variations:
·       Add 1 cup of finely chopped fresh kale leaves with stems removed.  It only needs to wilt a bit.

·       You can add a cup of frozen corn for color and nutrition.

·       Replace the milk with half and half or cream to make it richer.

·       Serve with shredded white cheddar cheese or a dollop of sour cream on top as a garnish.

·       If you like heat, add one chopped jalapeno chili (omit seeds if you don’t like it real hot).  

·       It is great with chicken but it would be good with left over pulled pork or I love Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana with Italian sausage.  I bet it would be good with Italian sausage instead of chicken and add a new level of flavor.

·       Add an avocado, fresh cilantro or cut green onions as a garnish before serving.

·       Visit the web for crock pot white bean chili recipes so it is ready for you when you get home from work.

Blessings to you and yours.  Have a great soup day.

No comments:

Post a Comment