Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Enchilada Soup





I figured I'd make enchilada soup for our Valentine Day dinner.  It is basically a deconstructed enchilada in a soup base.  I just tried it and I'm very happy with it.  I'm making it with heart shaped tortillas to top it off in celebration of Valentine's Day and with a little dollop of sour cream.  Lots of ways to top this off.   Any other time I would just cut strips of tortilla shells to top it.




   1 tsp. onion powder
   1 tsp. garlic powder
   3 cup chicken stock (32 oz)
   2 cup shredded chicken (2 each 12.5 oz. cans  
   of chunk chicken breast)
   1 can of 28 oz. mild red enchilada sauce
   2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
   2 cups or 16 oz. tomato juice
   1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
   1 tsp. ground cumin
   ½ tsp. Kosher salt
   2 cups of shredded Mexican blend cheese

Optional Toppings: tortilla strips, sliced avocado or guacamole, grated cheese, fresh diced tomatoes, chopped fresh onions and/or sour cream.  You pick your favorites but you need the tortillas to make it taste like an enchilada.

My recipe is a one pot recipe.  You do not need to saute onions and garlic or bake your chicken.  You just toss it all in the pot and let it simmer.  The family said that they really liked it and loved the flavor.          
  
Add all of the ingredient to a large pot and stir with each additional ingredient you add to combine. Continue stirring occasionally until the mixture reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.

Serve warm soup with desired toppings.
You can add frozen corn to the soup if you like.  
I'm making homemade tortilla chips in the shape of hearts by frying them in veg. oil.  I'll serve some with a jalapeno cheese dip as an appetizer and some dipped in sugar and cinnamon for a dessert. I've posted this in the past on another blog.  You can search for how I do it in the top left hand corner. 

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment