Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Baked Mashed Potato Casserole


This is my spin on a potato casserole I saw and thought I’d like with a few changes.  I tested it last night for supper.  It really was tasty, but then how can you go wrong with bacon and potatoes. 

2.5 lb. bag of potatoes
½ tub of whipped cream cheese
½ stick of butter
1 cup of cheddar cheese
½ cup French onion dip (flavored sour cream)
5 slices bacon cooked and chopped
Chives (from my herb garden)
Half and half as needed for mashing consistency (or milk if you like)
Kosher salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes with skins on in salted water.  Always start your potatoes in cold water (cooks evenly).  I like my mashed potatoes with a little skin on, but you can peel and leave off if you like.  Hate to peel off all the nutrition. Waxy potatoes, such as Red Rose, White Rose, and Yukon Gold varieties, are recommended for boiling applications because they have less starch and a higher moisture content.  Idaho and russet potatoes have a higher starch content and lower moisture, resulting in a mealier texture when cooked.

Drain potatoes when they are tender and add the cream cheese, butter, ½ cup of shredded cheese (I used mild cheddar), sour cream dip, and half and half. Mash with a hand mixer to get most of the lumps.


You have to leave a few lumps in though to let everyone know they are not instant potatoes.  When you get your right consistency, add ¾ of the bacon and stir.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Place in a greased 9 x 9 inch casserole dish or pan and garnish with the remaining bacon, cheese and chopped chives (I cut mine bacon and chives with a kitchen scissors because it gives me better control of the size I want). Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes to reheat. 

I cut this recipe in half because I did not need a 9 x 13 pan for just me.  If you are feeding a large group, double it.

Have a great Wednesday, be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment