Saturday, September 28, 2013

Porcupine Meatballs

I have left over rice, so the boys and I are making porcupine meatballs.  They should love using their hands to mix it up.  This is a recipe that comes from the 50’s.  I first had it at a church dinner and have loved it ever since.  When ever I have left over rice, I like to make it.  The rice poking out from the meatballs inspired someone to name it porcupine meatballs. 


1 1/2 lbs. of lean hamburger
1 cup of cooked rice
2 eggs
1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can 29 oz tomato sauce or original recipe called for a can of tomato soup
  
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the first 7 ingredients together with your hands.  Roll your meatballs into golf ball sized meatballs.  Bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until they are brown.   Once they are brown, cover them with tomato sauce or soup and put back into the oven for another 10 minutes.  The original recipe I made for years called for tomato soup but since Saylor can’t have milk products I am now using tomato sauce.

It makes over 2 dozen meatballs. 




Variation -  Before serving sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and/or fresh chopped basil or parsley for extra flavor and color.

Going to possibly rain this afternoon.  We can use the rain so will get outside this morning and enjoy it while we can.  I have more tomatoes to pick and can.  Enjoy your day, be happy and may God bless you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment