Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup

The weather is finally letting up on the heat, so I feel more like cooking.  I got some ham chucks this week and instead of the same ol’ potato soup I normally make with ham, I made a new version with Swiss cheese and chicken to imitate Chicken Condon Bleu.  I’m also adding a little turmeric to this recipe since I’m trying to increase it in my diet.




Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup

6 cups chicken broth (I made homemade with two chicken breasts with bone in)
2 tbs. butter
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. yellow mustard
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper
2 cups of chopped chicken
2 cups ham chunks
½ cup corn starch
3 cups milk or half and half (I’m using milk)
5 medium russet potatoes with a little skin left on
8 oz. shredded Swiss cheese
8 oz. white cheddar cream cheese
1 cup garlic croutons (I made my own)
1 tbs. of fresh or dried parsley (cut in half if you are using dried)


I had some left over bread sticks from luncheon the other day, so I cut them up and put a little olive oil and garlic powder on them and put them under the broiler.  After they browned on one side, I turned them over and browned on the other side. I hate to see anything go to waste.  I’m bagging them and will use them on salads.  If you wish, you can just use store bought salad croutons flavored with garlic.


I boiled my bone in chicken in 6 cups of water and made my own broth adding the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric and mustard.  Debone and cut your chicken into bite sized pieces.  I got mine from Fareways and it is basically a whole chicken less the wings and legs. 

In a large wide pot, over medium heat, reheat the broth and add butter.  Bring to a boil.

Peel and dice potatoes.  Add potatoes, ham and chicken to broth mixture. 

When you potatoes are fork tender and the broth has come to a boil, add 2 cups of milk or half and half.  Make a corn starch slurry by combining last cup of milk (or half and half) and corn starch and stirring until the corn starch is no longer stiff and slurry is smooth.  Slowly pour the slurry into broth, stirring constantly. The soup needs to be boiling when you pour in the slurry. Let it thicken and then add cheese and parsley and stir.

Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.  Taste one last time for seasoning and add salt or pepper if needed.  Serve with garlic croutons.  You can also sprinkle the top with a little chopped crispy bacon if you like.  I like bacon so you know I did. 

Have a great day, be happy and may God bless you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment