Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Apple Pie-in-a-Jar


I love this simple recipe for apple-pie-in-a-jar.  It just takes some time to peel apples.  The name implies a great use for it, but it also allows you something in you pantry for a quick, warm dessert when ever you need it.  Some of my favorite things to do with them is to make a quick apple crisp or use pastry sheets and make quick turn overs.  It makes great camp fire apple pies if you have the pie irons for over a camp fire (all you need is this, bread, canned frosting and spray oil for the irons).  I have also given you quite a few recipes lately that you can use the apples for.  I like to make both quart jars and ½ quart jars for smaller recipes.

7 quarts peeled sliced cooking apples
4 1/2 cups  sugar
1 cup cornstarch
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
10 cups water
3 tbsp. lemon juice

Wash, slice and peel your apples.  I use an apple corer slicer and then peel the slices.  It saves time.  I also set up a station of my bucket of apples, a lined waste paper basket, cutting board, corer/slicer, knife and bowl with lemon in it to speed up the process.  After I have sliced an apple and peeled it I put it in a bowl with a little lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.  Today I listened to my Kindle read to me as I worked making for an enjoyable morning.


When I have a large bowl full, I pack quart jars and 1/2 quart jars with the apple slices leaving 1/2 inch head space on the top. Be sure to pack the apples really tight.   Put a few in and push down with the handle of a wooden spoon, then a few more and repeat.

Make syrup by combining sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and water.  Cook until it thickens. Pour syrup over apples in jar.  You can put the syrup in a large measuring cup with a spout to make the filling of the jars easier.  I have a large mouth funnel I use.


Make sure the lips of the jars are clean so the lids seal.

Place the lids on and screw the rings down just finger tight.  Make sure you have sterilized the jars, lids and rings.  Process the jars for 20 minutes in a hot water bath.  It should yield 7 quarts. 

I'll be picking and peeling apples for days and putting up more of these wonderful jars in the next week.  I'll be happy I did this winter. 

Have a great day, be happy and may God bless your and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment