Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Community


I am a strong believer in community to the point of believing it should be taught at every grade level in every school.  When I taught 7th grade CCD classes, I asked my youth if they knew what the Lord’s Prayer meant.  Not one of them did and yet they were taught to recite it regularly not knowing what they were even praying for.  I took it upon myself to interpret it in simpler words that they understood.  I began with Our Father…..  That means we are all one family.  We are a community of Christians praying in His name.  We are a community in all we do.  We need to act as a loving family to our fellow man.  The Dalai Lama says: “All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness.  The important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.”   No matter what your faith is, even if you are an atheist or an agnostic, we need to believe in community if for no other reason than to make this a better world to live in and for our children to live in.

Be happy and God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment