Friday, February 8, 2013

Rhubarb Custard


Yesterday I shared a hot dessert for a cold winter's day.  Today I'm sharing another.  I love rhubarb.  This year I should be able to harvest some thanks to my sister Wendy.  She helped me replace all the plants I lost (I lost every plant.  Come to find out you have to retransplant them because if you don’t they have a life span of about 12 years).  I love rhubarb pie, rhubarb crisp and rhubarb custard.  I can’t say I like one over the other.  I like them all.  So I’m sharing my rhubarb custard recipe with you in celebration of my love of rhubarb.  I can’t wait for spring.



Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
5 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt

Custard:
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups raw rhubarb

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the crust ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Pat crust mixture into a 9 x 13 pan. (It doesn't look like enough at first, but it will cover the bottom. Just keep patting.) Bake crust for 15 minutes.

Combine custard ingredients in order given. Mix well. Pour custard over crust and bake for another 30 to 45 minutes until custard is set and top begins to lightly brown.

You may serve warm or cold.  I prefer it hot.  Add a dollop of whipped cream to garnish it.   

Stay warm, be happy and may God bless you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment