Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Beef Stroganoff



I bought some minute steak when I got groceries Friday and with the cost of beef, I want to extend it to make it go a little further, so I’m making beef stroganoff.  I’m pretty traditional when I cook and I stick pretty close to this recipe when I make it.  Some times I use stew meat, but today it is minute steak.  I want the meat to break down so I like to cook it in the crockpot low and slow.

Crockpot Beef Stroganoff

1 to 2 lbs cube steak or minute steak, cut into one-inch pieces
2 cans condensed mushroom soup
1 cup finely chopped onion (you can also use a packet of Lipton onion soup)
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 14 oz. can beef broth
8 oz. button mushrooms (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream

In a crockpot, combine the meat, soup, onion, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Stir in cream cheese and sour cream about half an hour before serving, stirring every ten minutes or so to break up cream cheese (I like to use the whipped cream cheese).

Boil your egg noodles until they are al dente.  Add them to the mixture for noodles to soak up the flavors.  Leave for about 30 minutes.

If the sauce is not thick enough for you, add some cornstarch and water slurry.



Makes 6 generous servings.

It is suppose to get above freezing today, but not much.  A good day for meat and noodles.  

Be happy and may God bless you and yours.   

No comments:

Post a Comment