Thursday, July 12, 2012

June 12th is National Pecan Pie Day


Cocoa Pecan Pie 

I could sit and look through old cook books for hours.  It is safer to look than to cook sometimes.  

What is your favorite pie?  Mine has to be pecan and today being National Pecan Pie Day I’ll share my favorite pecan pie recipe.  This very old recipe stirs up a lot of great memories for me. 

Mom used to make pecan pie for all of our get togethers.  Each member of the family was responsible for their “special dish” and mom was responsible for bringing the pies (she needed to bring more than one) so we could all say the same thing over and over again, “Maw, that sure looks like good pie!” If you like pecan pie, you’ll love this because I’m using a store bought crust again to make it really simple and I've added chocolate. 

9 inch unbaked pastry shell
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
¼ cup flour
½ tsp. salt
3 eggs
¾ cup dark corn syrup
¾ cup cream
¼ cup melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup of chopped pecans

Combine the sugar, cocoa, flour and salt in a small bowl; set aside.  Combine the eggs, dark corn syrup, cream, melted butter and vanilla in a large mixing bowl; add the dry ingredients, stirring until smooth.  Stir in the pecan halves.  Pour into pastry shell.  Bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes or until the center is firm to the touch. 


Variation:  

If you really want to take it over the top with chocolate, you can add some chocolate chips to it or drizzle it with melted chocolate on the top.  The pie is so rich, you will only be able to eat a small piece.

Pecan pie brings back some awful sweet memories.  Mom is 87 year old and doesn’t bake any more, so I have to do the baking myself and I take her the goodies now.  This is honor of you mom.  I love you.  

Be happy and may God bless you and yours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment