Monday, February 10, 2014

Sunday Soup

I made what my daughter-in-law affectionately calls Sunday Soup last night for Sunday supper.  That is where the name comes from.  I've been known to make the soup a lot on Sundays and eat on it for several days.  It is a meal in itself and very satisfying on a cold winter’s day. 


It is my own version of a soup that the Machine Shed in Davenport makes that they call Baked Potato Soup.  I've always assumed they use left over baked potatoes from the day before.  I love their soup, but they add celery to theirs and I leave it out.  You can add it if you like.  You can also make it by using left over baked potatoes if you have any.  


2 to 3 pounds of small red potatoes (you can use what ever potato you have)
1 onion
1 pint of cream
1 pint of 2% milk
1 quart of chicken broth
2 tbs. dried parsley
Kosher salt
Black pepper
¼ tsp. nutmeg
3 tbs. butter
3 tbs. corn starch
1 pkg. of pre-cooked bacon
Grated cheddar cheese

Clean and slice your red potatoes.  I leave the skins on.  Slice about ¼ thick. 

Quarter you onion and put in food processor and chop.  Add a bit of butter to your soup pot and toss in your onions.  Cook until they are translucent (several minutes).

Put your pre-cooked bacon in the microwave and microwave for 30 seconds.  Using a kitchen scissors cut your back in about ¾ inch pieces over the onions.  Stir and add the chicken broth.  Add your sliced potatoes and cook until tender.  If you don’t have enough broth to cover the potatoes, add a bit of water until the potatoes are completely covered. The broth should be cold when you start the potatoes so they all cook evenly. 

When the potatoes are tender add your parsley, nutmeg, cream and milk.   Add salt and pepper to your taste.  I like lots of pepper in mine.  When it begins to just start to bubble, add a slurry of corn starch and water to thicken the soup.  Let it simmer a bit to make sure you don’t taste the corn starch. Taste one last time for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.   I add a bit more butter to the soup and give a final stir.

Serve hot and top your bowl of soup with shredded cheddar cheese.   I also serve with saltine crackers.



Variation - Replace the dried parsley with chopped spinach or kale for more nutrition, texture and color.  I often do.  I dried my own parsley this summer and wanted to use some of it up.  You can also replace the bacon with the cubed ham you can now buy already cut up for you and have a ham and potato soup.  

Another cold day but only 38 more days until spring.  Something to look forward to.  Until then, hope warm soup warms your day.  Be happy and may God bless you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment