Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pink Candied Lemon Peels


I'm doing some grocery and menu planning today.  I have a birthday party Tuesday and book club Friday and need to plan on some cakes.  I want to make pink lemonade cupcakes for book club so need to go buy some lemons and cake mixes.  I want to decorate the pink lemonade cake with candied lemon peel so think I'll make that this afternoon.  I'll share the recipe with you.  Never wanting anything to go to waste, this is a great idea for those lemon peels left over when you need to squeeze a lemon and you can store them in one of my favorite things, the good old mason jar.  





Pink Candied Lemon Peel

6 lemon peels, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 cup white sugar
½ cup pink lemonade (you can use regular also I just want it pink for my dessert)
Sugar for decoration
Red food coloring (optional)

Place lemon peel in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 20 minutes, drain and set aside.

In medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water and a drop of food coloring if you wish to make it pink to make the syrup pink. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture reaches thread stage, 230 degrees on candy thermometer, or small amount dropped in cold water forms a soft thread. Stir in your drained peels, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain again.

Roll peel pieces, a few at a time, in remaining sugar or put in a mason jar or baggie with sugar and shake gently to coat the peels. Let dry on wire rack several hours. Store in an air tight container.

Variation -  You can do the same with limes, grapefruit or orange peels.  Dip them in chocolate and they make a beautiful gift.  



No comments:

Post a Comment