Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lemon Honey Jelly




This is not my idea or recipe, but I’m going to be making it from now on.  I got it from the internet and I am claiming it for my winter pantry.  I got it from a FB friend in New Zealand.  Since she was so kind as to share, I am also going to share her canning recipe.

Makes 4 half-pints

5 to 6 lemons
2 1/2 cups honey
3 tablespoons (or 1 packet) low-sugar powdered pectin (I use Ball RealFruit Low or No-Sugar Needed Pectin)

Wash and scrub your lemons thoroughly. Using a Microplane or fine grater, zest your lemons and set aside 1 tablespoon of zest for your jelly. The remaining zest can be stored in the freezer for future use (we don’t want to waste any part of the lemon!).

In a large pot, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, and pectin, and stir well. Don’t use any pot smaller than 4 quarts, because when this thing boils and bubbles up, it really expands!


Bring the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for a few minutes, then remove from heat.

Ladle the hot jelly into hot, clean jars. Wipe the rims with a damp towel to ensure a safe seal, then secure with lids and rings.

Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

When I have a cold, my mother always advises me to take some warm lemon and honey.  My brother says to put a little whiskey in it as his home remedy.  My remedy is in the winter when you have a cold, get out the lemon and honey jelly and put it on your toast.  It beats the cold medicine all to pieces.

Freezing Lemons

To freeze lemon slices that you can drop into drinks, lay them out on a cookie sheet and set them in the freezer for a few hours. Once they’re solid, collect them into a zip-top storage bag, where they’ll stay frozen individually (and not clumped together into a yellow iceberg if you were to freeze all the slices together in the bag).

Add a slice or two for a little zip to iced tea, or to cool down a too-hot tea.

To freeze lemon zest, use a microplane to quickly and finely grate the peel. The zest is stored in my favorite thing, a mason jar, in the freezer.  One little pint jar lasts quite a long time. Whenever a recipe calls for zest, it is easy to scoop out as needed.  Never let any of your lemon go to waste.  If you are juicing a lemon and don’t need the peeling, zest it and freeze it for when you do.  The same goes for the juice.  You can freeze it in an ice cube tray and once frozen, put the cubes in a baggie.  1 cube equals about a tablespoon of lemon juice.  



Tomorrow is National Watermelon Day so will be giving you watermelon ideas.  Have a great day and be happy.  May God bless you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment