Friday, August 28, 2015

Homemade Sage Sausage

Ground pork is on sale this week at Fareways.  Ten pounds is $1.49 a pound.  I cut it up and make several sausages from it and keep some just as ground pork for meatballs, etc. Making sage sausage this morning.  This is my own recipe that I have played with until I like it.  I encourage you to play with it to your liking.


Homemade Sage Sausage



2 pounds ground pork (you may substitute ground turkey)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoons thyme
¼ teaspoon rosemary
2 tablespoon light brown sugar 
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

I use my Kitchen Aid mixer to mix all ingredients but you can use your hands.  Mix all of your seasoning together first.  Add ½ of the mixture to the sausage and mix.  Once well mixed add the balance of the mixture and mix until it is well mixed. 


Form one small patty and fry about 3 minutes on each side or until done.


Sample the patty to see if you are happy with the seasoning.  If you would like it a little sweeter you can add a little more brown sugar (or maple syrup).   I love sage.  It is so good for you that I’m not too careful measuring it.  I go heavy on it.  You can also add more pepper flakes if you like it hotter.  Create your own recipe by writing it down as you adjust it to your taste.

It is not just for breakfast.  I use it for sausage sage dressing.

I store mine in small baggies.  Before using it, you should let it sit for a day to let the seasonings be absorbed.   It keeps in the refrigerator for a week.  I freeze the rest.


Making your own sausage can save your a great deal of money.  The link sausage I buy for special occasions runs close to $2.50 a pound. Try making fresh Mexican or Italian sausage following the same method and tweak it to your liking.  You can find recipes with a Google search.  

Think we are having brupper (our term for breakfast/supper) here tonight.  Making creamed sausage on biscuits and muskmelon.  

Hope you have a wonderful day.  May God bless you and yours.   

No comments:

Post a Comment