Thursday, April 24, 2014

Coney Dogs

Since it is throw back Thursday I thought I would share a 1966 and 67 memory.  When I lived in Milwaukee on the near South side, there was a little dive called Coney Island.  Living on a very limited budget and it being very near where I worked as a VISTA volunteer, I visited it often and always ordered the Coney dogs. 


I saw this recipe and had to save it for the memory and for future use.   It is super simple and a wonderful memory.  You can’t beat that.



1 ¼ lbs. hamburger
1 large onion
½ cup sugar
½  cup chili powder
½  cup ketchup
1 ½  cup water

Chop your onion in a food processor.  Brown hamburger and onion until done. Drain well and place back in the skillet. Add all of the remaining ingredients. Simmer 1 hour, stirring from time to time. You can also freeze it for later use.

Steam your hot dogs.  I use 100% beef.  Brown your buns a bit.  Pile lots of chili on top of your hot dog.  What a meal.  What great memories.  

Make some memories today and make it a great day.  Be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment