Monday, January 6, 2014

Banana Crepes

I feel pretty good considering weather today.  I treated myself today by making some banana crepes so I don’t sink into a depression over the weather out there (Wind chills of 50 below Zero).  So far it is working.  Make something warm and thinking warm will help. This can be for breakfast, brunch or even a dessert.


Crepes

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 1/2 cups milk (recipe calls for whole, but I use 2%)
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons butter

Bananas

Whole bananas
Real local honey
Butter

Walnuts or pecans


As usual, I like to set everything out and make sure I have everything I need before starting and then put it away as I use it to make sure I have not forgot anything.  Something my mind seems to do on occasion. 

In a blender, combine flour, sugar, salt, milk, eggs, and butter.  Puree until the mixture is smooth and bubbles form on top, about 30 seconds. Let batter sit at least 15 minutes at room temperature (this is important to let the gluten work).  I cut my recipe in half since it is just me and it made 8 crepes.  Any left over crepes can be frozen for another day.  


I’m freezing the 6 left over crepes for another day.  Just put parchment paper between them and put them in a large baggie.


I have a pan I call my crepe pan.  It makes 6 inch crepes.   It is the only Teflon pan I own but it is perfect for small crepes or blintzes.  Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat it with butter.  Pour just enough batter  to coat the bottom of the pan and swirl to completely cover bottom of skillet.  The batter will be quite runny.  You want you crepes to be very thin so you can roll them.  Cook until underside of crepe is golden brown (2 to 3 minutes).  Your crepe should be able to float around the pan when shaken once it is ready to flip.

Loosen the edge of crepe with a rubber spatula and quickly flip. Cook 1 minute more. Slide crepe out of skillet and repeat with remaining batter. Coat pan with butter as needed.


After making a pile of crepes, you will be filling it with your banana and nuts.  Using the same crepe pan, add a little butter and banana(s).  Split your bananas lengthwise down the middle.  Add a little honey and walnuts to your browning bananas and lightly brown the bananas turning them until they are warmed through.


Open your crepe and fill with your banana, nuts and honey and roll up like a cigar.  Pour your left over honey and nuts on top of the rolled crepes.


Top with whipped cream and a little drizzle of Hershey’s Dark Chocolate syrup. 


Variation – If you like Bananas Foster, try adding brown sugar instead of honey to the bananas and butter.  You can also add a cap full of rum if you want a real Bananas Foster.  Cook off the alcohol when you are browning the bananas.  If you are eating this as a dessert, you can also top it with vanilla ice cream instead of whipped cream.

Hopefully this will keep me warm and happy today.  You stay warm and happy and may God bless you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment