Thursday, January 2, 2014

Baguette and Quick Leftover Appetizers


Standing in front of the refrigerator and wondering what needs to be used up and see I have a half of a baguette that is in need of being used.  Have some left over olives from another recipe and some left over Mozzarella so decided I’d make appetizers for myself to watch the Iowa game. 

I cut the baguette into individual pieces and drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic powder and put under the broiler to make garlic bread.  When it was golden brown I took it out.

I’m making two different appetizers with the garlic bread.

Pepper Jelly Appetizers

Garlic bread
Whipped cream cheese
Pepper jelly I made this summer (Got to use it up.  I have lots of it)

Spread your cream cheese and pepper jelly on your crusty garlic toast.  One down and one to go.

Olive Spread Appetizers

Paste
Pitted green olives
Pitted black olives
Pitted Kalamata olives
2 tbs. olive oil
¼ tsp. garlic powder (two shakes)
¼ tsp. onion powder (two shakes)


Put your olives, oil, and garlic and onion powder in a small food process and chop until it is a paste.  If it is a little too dry, add a little more olive oil.

Appetizer
Olive paste
Garlic bread
Mozzarella cheese (I used left over Mozzarella pearls, but you can use fresh, sliced or grated (What ever you have in the house.  Provolone would be good too ).

Put the Mozzarella cheese on your toast and put back under the broil until it is melted and warm.  Take out of oven and top with the olive paste and serve it while it is still warm. 

Variation on both – You may also sprinkle the garlic toast with Parmesan cheese for even more cheese flavor if you like.  

Just an FYI on the benefits of olives:  They are an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, along with having anti-cancer benefits.  I love them and they are a regular part of my diet.  They make a great afternoon snack.

If you have any leftover spread use it in a pasta salad or on your next pizza. 

Hope you enjoyed your day in front of the TV watching the parade and football. Iowa lost but I still love my Hawkeyes.  Be happy and may God bless you and yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment