Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Apple Season




My apples are heavy on the tree and I'm beginning to collect apple recipes from FB friends and old cook books to share with my grandsons. Today I thought I would share several I think they will like with you.

This is a take off of my apple-pie-in-a-jar I make every fall, but the boys can make it for a small snack themselves.

Apple-Pie-in-a-Bag



1 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apple
1 tsp. of sugar
¼ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
Raisins (optional)

Peel, core and slice your apple. Place in freezer zip lock bag along with remaining ingredients. Seal bag and shake well to mix ingredients.

Reopen bag just a touch to vent and put in a coffee cup to hold it up right. Microwave bag on high for 2 minutes (longer if you use a big apple).

Carefully with an oven mitt, open bag and eat it plain or pour over ice cream or oatmeal.  You can also let it cool and put it in a lunch bag.

Apple Pie Fries



1 Package of Pillsbury Refrigerated pie Crust (2 count)
Approx. 1 ½ cups of Apple Pie Filling
1 Egg
Sparkle Sugar if you have it (regular will work)
Store bought caramel sauce for dipping

Chop up the Apple Pie Filling as best as you can.  Use a food processor to chop finely.

Unroll each crust and spread the filling on the crust.  Leave a 1/8″ border around the edge.

Put the other pie crust on top and press lightly to secure it.

Make an egg wash by mixing the egg with a splash of water. Brush some egg wash on the top, and sprinkle it with the sugar.

Cut strips about 1/2″ thick and then cut those into “fry” shapes.

Place them carefully onto a baking sheet and bake them at 350 degrees for approx. 12 minutes, or until they’re slightly golden and firm.

Make sure and serve them with some Caramel for dipping.

Apple Toffee Dip



2 8 oz. cream cheese
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkg. Heath toffee bits

Mix everything together and serve with a bowl of apple slices that have been tossed with a little lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.

Variation -  You can drizzle some caramel sauce on the top and using a knife swirl it through the dip to make it even more amazing.

With this heat, you don't have to heat up the oven for this one. 

Mom's Apple Salad

One of my favorite meals when I go to mom's for dinner is her homemade chicken and noodles and her apple salad on the side.  She has been fixing the apple salad since I was little.

 

1 cup mayo
2 tbs. sugar
2 apples
1/2 cup walnuts
2 small bananas
1 cup small marshmallows

Mix the mayo and sugar in the bottom of a bowl.  Cut up your apple into small pieces.  I do it over the bowl.  Cut up your bananas over the bowl.  Add you marshmallows and walnuts.  Fold until it is well mixed.  I like to fix this for my grandson Saylor because it is gluten and dairy free and he likes it.

I added red grapes cut in half to this salad.  Mom always garnishes with some walnuts on the top so I do the same.

Have a great day, be happy and may God bless you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment