Monday, May 14, 2012

Rhubarb Season


My sister Wendy gave me a bunch of rhubarb from her huge rhubarb patch.   I had to replant mine and she generously gave me 5 new starts so I will have lots in a couple of years.  Mean while, now I don't have to wait thanks for Wendy, so I’m making rhubarb crisp.  I thought and thought of what to do with it, and since I like things simple I thought I would do a simple crisp with it and freeze the rest of the rhubarb for my next dessert inspiration. 

Wendy makes the best rhubarb cheesecake and I love rhubarb strawberry pie.  Maybe I’ll do that with the next dessert.  So I thought I would share just a simple rhubarb crisp recipe with you.  I have a whole chapter on rhubarb in my book and have posted that chapter on an earlier blog if you want to look at that chapter for other ideas to do with rhubarb. 

Picture of this recipe.  It is delicious.

Rhubarb Crisp

1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups sliced rhubarb
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, butter and cinnamon for your crumble. Press half of the brown sugar and oats mixture into a buttered 8-inch square baking dish. Slice your rhubarb into 1 inch pieces.  Top the bottom layer with the cleaned and sliced rhubarb.

In a saucepan combine 1 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, and the 1 cup of water and vanilla. Cook together until clear and pour over rhubarb.

Top rhubarb with remaining crumble mixture and bake at it 350° for 45 to 55 minutes.  This crisp is really great served warm with vanilla ice cream.


Variation:  You can always add strawberries to the rhubarb to make it a rhubarb strawberry dessert.  Add  2 cups of  rhubarb and 2 cup of strawberries.

I had rhubarb crisp with ice cream at book club 2 months ago and it was so tasty I have wanted it again.  Thank you Wendy for sharing.  Hope you have someone who shares or that you have a patch of your own. 

Be happy and may God bless you and yours.  




No comments:

Post a Comment